I thought i was overdue on starting my second trash can composter… the first one has had a bottomless pit for the last few months.
I was certain it would have been at capacity awhile ago, but then I took a closer look.
Not only were there a ton of red wigglers in there breaking it down, but also gobs and gobs of grubs- excellent!
They’ve been a huge help for sure- the pile has been steadily cooking along at a mellow 80 to 90 degrees since its inception, which wouldn’t be hot enough to break down the contents so swiftly.
Once the temperature drops a bit more, I’m going to try transferring as many of the worms over to the big pile as I can…hoping that it’s thick enough to insulate them through the winter- we’ll see!
One of the best things I ever did to improve my vermicomposting process was putting my weekly food scraps in the freezer for a few hours before adding them to my Worm Inn later.
It’ll keep the bugs down and it’ll help decompose the scraps a bit more through the freeze/thaw activity.
If you’re having bug issues in the summer, I recommend checking out my video How to Make a Fruit Fly Trap For Under Two Dollars .
How are your worms doing?
Maybe it’s time for a video.
Well that was quick- another big tray of worm castings. The yellow bin is what I pulled yesterday, and the blue tub is my main container.
Recently I posted all the contaminants I found in my last batch– this time was much better, but I still missed a few fruit labels.
Quite an improvement over the last batch!
This is an excellent use of a compost tumbler- you’ll probably get better results using it as a worm bin!
The cat presented me with a mouse the other day, right when I was heading downstairs with my food scraps to the Worm Inn system.
I always put dead animals in my outdoor compost piles, but this time I wanted to try something different.
I added the mouse in the middle, followed by my week’s worth of food scraps and then additional bedding on top.
It’ll be interesting to harvest the worm castings in a few months…
Emptying the Worm Inn vermicomposting system is a breeze- check out the gorgeous castings! I don’t miss my old worm bin at all.
The contaminants are pretty funny, too- a few fruit labels, a shredded envelope window, and some uncrushed eggshells didn’t make it.
Sifting out the extras is easy when using a basket with 1/4″ to 1/2″ spacing.
Are you getting the results you’d like with your worm bin or outdoor composting system?
It’s been six months since I’ve emptied the Worm Inn system– I admit I forgot about the worms for a bit, but now I have a ton of castings.
Every time I empty the Worm Inn, I’m always so impressed with the quality of the castings compared to the results from a standard worm bin.
When looking at the outlying “contaminants”, it’s like looking back in time at mistakes that were made- as you can see, I have a few!
- I’m such a stickler about removing labels from fruit, but I guess I wasn’t on a few occasions. Luckily, these are easy to spot.
2. All those plastic shreds were clearly from an envelope that has a plastic window. I like to shred my paper, but I must have shredded a whole junk mail envelope without looking inside to remove a return envelope. Whoops!
3. I read everywhere that worms like crushed egg shells… clearly I haven’t tried that yet. I’m going to crush these egg shells as fine as I can and then throw them back in.
The screening process is pretty easy- Empty the castings until some unprocessed food or worms pop up, then throw them back in the top of the system and zip up the bottom.
I have a wire basket that I dump the castings through, which removes the larger pieces.
Video to come shortly. 🙂