A few weeks ago, I decided to harvest all of my basil plants from the Clash of the Composts! experiment. They were all looking so good for so long…those big bright and shiny green leaves. At a certain point, they outgrew their pots it seemed, and started to look worse.
I moved two out of each of the pots in the experiment to free up space, and put them all together in another container. It definitely improved the growth of the experiment pots, but only for a short time. The ones in the new slender container were looking even better.
Anyway, I chopped everything off to make a pesto and didn’t expect anything to happen in the pots after that. It’s been a few weeks, let’s see how they look:
It looks to me like it’s repeating my old experiment from the start! The tea leaf compost and my compost out of my tumbler are looking the best, worm castings and commercial compost are neck and neck, and the control pot has the least activity.
It’s funny how small they all look in comparison to the uncrowded pot of basil…wow! When I try a new growing experiment in the spring, you can bet I’m going to give every plant a lot more space. Lesson learned for sure.